Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Catacomb


And it's back!  After a short break this blog of writing bits shall resume with a poem, just as it started.


"Catacomb"


History is a grand scale
One-upping contest.
An archive of thick books
With bible-thin pages
Covered in ash and dust
of the infamous dead

King Tut is the most famous
Dust bin I’ve ever met.
He had a gold casket
With turquoise stripes
And a pretentious cane and scepter
Besides murals of half naked men
Kneeling before a dog-faced pharaoh
Hangin’ out in the Valley of Kings
With other smug dust bins,
What did he do in life?
Uh… die?

The Great Wall scoffs and says,
“Let me show you how it’s done,
Pyramids” and display their kings
In stone boxes with accented jade
As tempting grave-robbing riches.
Beside the lock of the stone alcove
Waits poison darts for intruding fingers
Like a sign saying:
“You can sweep me up,
but it’ll cost you!”

And sweet Anne Boleyn
With rubies, perfume, silk gowns,
And a lovely beheaded crown,
Sticks out her purpled tongue
At her kindly husband, Henry
“My daughter is more famous
than your son.  NEENER!”
Red headed Elizabeth 1 and her brother-
I’d have to google his name.

They put all the dust bunnies
Under my bed to shame
Their stories make me laugh
As I pass vast rows of shelves
Of books with mummied spines
Is this dust covering these tomes?
Or ash of the dead themselves?
And I’m gasping in their catacombs.



Thank you for reading, and have a fabulous day!
~Katie Healy

PS: Stay tuned for Thursday's installment of Simple Observations, "The Five Minute Rule".

No comments:

Post a Comment